Posted on January 27, 2015 by oleanpubliclibrary
What did you check out from the Olean Public Library in 2014? See how your borrowing habits aligned with the rest of the library community. Below are the top 10 items checked out in each category. Did you miss anything?
- 2 Guns
- Taken 2
- Men in Black 3
- World War Z
- After Earth
- Iron Man 3
- Jack Reacher
- Pain & Gain
- A Good Day to Die Hard
Adult Fiction Books
- The Gods of Guilt – Michael Connelly
- King and Maxwell – David Baldacci
- Takedown Twenty – Janet Evanovich
- The Husband List – Janet Evanovich
- Sycamore Row – John Grisham
- Bones of the Lost – Kathy Reichs
- Dust – Patricia Cornwell
- NYPD Red 2 – James Patterson
- Robert B. Parker’s Bull River – Robert Knott
- Standup Guy – Stuart Woods
- The Longest Ride – Nicholas Sparks
- Moving Target – J.A. Jance
- NYPD Red 2 – James Patterson
- The Best of Me – Nicholas Sparks
- W is for Wasted – Sue Grafton
- River Road – Jayne Ann Krentz
- Dust – Patricia Cornwell
- A Tap on the Window – Lindwood Barclay
- Cider Brook – Carla Neggers
- Escape – Barbara Delinsky
- Guilty Wives – James Patterson
- White Fire – Douglas Preston
- Now You See Her – James Patterson
- A Week in Winter – Maeve Binchy
- 4th of July – James Patterson
- Alex Cross, Run – James Patterson
- Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
- Cross My Heart – James Patterson
- Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
- Identical – Scott Turow
- Writing Is My Drink – Theo Nestor
- Mastering Digital SLR Photography – David Busch
- The Citizen’s Constitution: An Annotated Guide – Seth Lipsky
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing – Nina Sankovitch
- The Rooftop Beekeeper: A Scrappy Guide to Keeping Urban Honey – Megan Paska
- The Improbability Principle – D.J. Hand
- Moosewood Restaurant Favorites – Moosewood Collective
- Digital SLR Handbook – John Freeman
- Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man – Steve Harvey
- An Anthology of American Poetry: Lyric America 1630-1930 – Alfred Kreymborg
- Wii Lego Batman: DC Superheroes
- Wii Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Wii The Smurfs 2
- Xbox Minecraft
- Wii Godzilla Unleashed
- Wii Pac-Man Party
- Xbox Battleship
- Wii Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
- Xbox Plants Vs. Zombies
- Xbox Farming Simulator
- Greatest Hits – LeAnn Rimes
- Wide Open Spaces – Dixie Chicks
- The Supremes V. 3 – The Supremes
- 2012 Grammy Nominees
- Early Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Volume 1 – Led Zeppelin
- The Supremes V. 2 – The Supremes
- Waking Up Laughing – Martina McBride
- My Beautiful Dark & Twisted Fantasy – Kanye West
- 2013 Grammy Nominees
- Duets – Reba McEntire
Filed under: Circulation | Tagged: Adults, audio books, Biography, cd, Fiction, Large Print, non fiction, nonfiction, Video games | Leave a comment »
Posted on November 25, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
ATV Offroad Fury 4
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Bit. Trip Complete
De Blob 2
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident
Rhythm Heaven Fever
The Last Story
PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventure 2
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Filed under: Gaming | Tagged: Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, Video games | Leave a comment »
Posted on October 20, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
This year’s contest will be for students in grades 9-12. Cash prizes will be awarded to the best poem at each grade level at each participating school. Poems that receive honorable mention will receive a gift at the awards ceremony. If your school is not participating in the contest, you can still drop off your poem at the library. Make sure you include contact information.
The rules are simple:
- Students must be in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Each entry must be typed in 12 point Times New Roman font and include the author’s full name, grade, English teacher and school at the bottom right of each page. If you don’t have access to a computer, please come to the library and use one of the public access computers.
- The work must be original. Please do not submit another’s work. Such entries will be disqualified.
All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by Friday, November 21st. Drop them off marked to the attention of the Friends Poetry Contest at the Reference Desk at the OPL or mail to Friends Poetry Contest, Olean Public Library, 134 N 2nd St., Olean, NY 14760.
Results will be announced before the end of the year and awards will be presented at a ceremony held at the library on December 30th. Even if you don’t win, you’re invited to the ceremony to read your work as there will be an open reading and refreshments to follow the presentations.
Some tips for writing your poem:
- Don’t let nonsensical rhyme dictate the flow of the poem.
- Make your work interesting by using imagery and sensory details.
- Write about what you know.
Filed under: Contest, Teens | Tagged: contest, Friends of the Olean Public Library, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, poetry, poetry contest | Leave a comment »
Posted on June 9, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
On Saturday, June 14 from 1-4pm, Dawn Westfall, a local genealogist and family historian, will present a Heritage Scrapbooking workshop at the Olean Public Library. In this workshop, Ms. Westfall combines her love of old photos, scrapbooking, and family history and will share how-to techniques with you. This is a make-and-take project. Bring 3-4 old photos or copies to use to make your very own heritage scrapbook page.
Ms. Westfall is an avid and experienced family historian with over twenty years of experience. Florida-born and raised, she has called Western New York her home for over ten years.
Space is limited; please call (716)372-0200 to reserve your spot. There will be a $4 materials fee due on the day of the event. The Olean Public Library is located at 134 N. 2nd St, Olean, NY.
Filed under: genealogy, Local History | Tagged: Adults, genealogy, Library, local history, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, Summer Reading | Leave a comment »
Posted on May 27, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
Join Allegany County Historian and Olean Public Library favorite Craig Braack for a presentation on the War of 1812 in our area on Wednesday May 28th at 6:30pm.
The nation is now celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the “Second War for American Independence.” Come learn about WNY’s role in the war. Mr. Braack will also cover the final burial of 28 soldiers from the war of 1812 which we uncovered by accident in Niagara Falls, ON in 1987. In June 1988, they were re-interred in the National Cemetery at the Bath, NY Veterans Administration Hospital.
Mr. Braack has held the position of Allegany County Historian and County Records Management Officer since 1985. He served in the United States Navy and is a graduate of the State University of New York in Geneseo.
The program is free and open to the public.
The Olean Public Library is located at 134 North Second Street, Olean, NY. For more information please call the Reference Desk at (716) 372-0200 or visit the website at http://www.oleanlibrary.org/
Filed under: Evening Programs, Local History | Tagged: Adults, Library, local history, local interest, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, War of 1812 | Leave a comment »
Posted on May 20, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
OLEAN, NY – On Tuesday May 13th the Olean Public Library held their annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner at the Bartlett Country Club. The total hours volunteered in 2013 was 1,602, 112 of which were performed by 8 teen volunteers. Using the estimated value of volunteer time in NY State ($26.54 per hour as reported by Independent Sector) this was a value of $42,372.90 for the library.
New to this year’s recognition program was the President’s Volunteer Service Award. This award was established in 2003 by the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation to “recognize the valuable contributions volunteers are making in our communities and encourage more people to serve.” (More information may be found at http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov) The library had several levels of recipients. The bronze level award goes to volunteers with 100-249 hours over a 12 month period. These awards were given out to Donna Costanza, Bernie Eisenhart, Rita Kowalik, Suzanne Marcus, Robert Taylor, and Cathy Walters. The silver level award goes to volunteers with 250-499 hours over a 12 month period. These awards were handed out to Carol Bess and John Mansour.
John Mansour also received the President’s Call to Service Award for volunteering more than 4,000 hours over his lifetime to the library. John has been a library volunteer for the past 27 years and has decided to retire from service. John also was recognized as performing the most volunteer hours in 2013 with a total of 300 ½ hours. Lance Chaffee, library director, also presented John with a plaque in hour of his 27 years of dedicated service to the library. Mr. Mansour received a standing ovation from members of the library staff, Board of Directors, and Friends of the Library.
Throughout his 27 years, John Mansour has worked at the Circulation Desk checking out books and providing book recommendations, serving on the Friends of the Library Board, and as chairman of the tree planting committee. Mr. Mansour is a retired teacher and a veteran of World War II. He will be missed by both the patrons and the staff of the Olean Public Library.
Lance Chaffee, director, presents John Mansour with a Plaque for his 27 Years of Dedicated Service
Filed under: Volunteers | Tagged: Library, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, volunteer, Volunteers | Leave a comment »
Posted on April 18, 2014 by oleanpubliclibrary
Job Title: Children’s Librarian/Librarian II
The Olean Public Library is seeking a full-time Librarian II to run our busy Children’s Department. Work involves supervising the children’s service staff, developing and directing children’s library programs, and selecting materials for the children’s collection.
- Trains, assigns duties, supervises and evaluates Children’s department staff.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory service at the Children’s reference desk.
- Recommends, plans, implements, and promotes new types of services based on patron needs and early childhood development research. Develops and conducts programs, tours, and story times.
- Serves as liaison for library services to community groups and other libraries.
- Prepares reports of activities in the Children’s department.
- Evaluates, selects, and weeds library materials in the juvenile collection, keeping in mind current trends in children’s literature and education.
- Writes and implements grants.
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, library system meetings, workshops, continuing education courses and professional materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of children’s literature and programming as well as child development
- Experience providing early childhood or early literacy programming
- Ability to supervise the work of others
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with the public
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of computers, software applications and emerging technologies
Benefits: 12 paid holidays, 22 vacation days, 3 personal days per year, health insurance, and New York State Employee’s Retirement System. The 2014 hiring range for Librarian II is $37,488 – $39,003.
Minimum Qualifications: A Masters Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association; eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at time of application, possession of certificate at time of appointment; and two (2) years of professional library experience in children’s services. Supervisory experience preferred.
This is a civil service competitive title; therefore appointment will be made on a provisional basis only. To be eligible for permanent status, the individual accepting appointment will be required to pass a civil service exam and score among the top three.
Send resume by May 2, 2014 by mail or email to:
Kim Mahar, Assistant Director
Olean Public Library
134 N. 2nd Street
Olean, NY 14760
Filed under: Children's, Employment | Tagged: children's librarian, employment, job seekers, librarian, Library, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library | Leave a comment »