Filed under: National Library Week | Tagged: Friends of the Olean Public Library, genealogy, Library, local author, local history, local interest, National Library Week, Olean, Olean Public Library, Summer Reading, Winter Reading | Leave a Comment »
We are looking for permanent donations of new or gently-used LEGO bricks. Old sets, new sets, mismatched jumbles, wheels, people, specialty sets, Duplo – we’ll be thrilled to accept all the LEGO bricks you can find!
Please bring donations to the Olean Public Library’s Information Desk.
We will happily provide a receipt for your donation.
Watch for LEGO Club coming this summer @ the library…
Theme: Communities Matter @ Your Library
Sponsored by the Olean Public Library
As part of the National Library Week celebration (April 14-20th), the Olean Public Library will host a photo contest. This contest is open to amateurs only (a professional is defined as on whose primary source of income results from his/her photographic work). The photograph must include the current Olean Public Library or the Old Library (interior or exterior) as a significant part of the picture.
Submissions for this contest will be accepted in person or via e-mail (oleanpubliclibrary[at]gmail[dot]com) in JPEG format. Limit one submission per person. Submission deadline is Monday April 8th at 9pm.
Photographs will be displayed in the display case in the lobby area of the library through the end of April. During National Library Week, patrons of the library will be asked to vote for their favorite picture. The winner will be announced on April 22nd and will receive a $20 gift certificate to Pleasant Valley Greenhouse & Nursery.
Each photo must be accompanied by the contestant’s name and phone number. The photo must also have a short description attached which will be displayed with the photo (e.g. “Old Library, Summer 2012” or “Summer Reading Program, 2009”, etc). Photographs must be suitable for a family environment.
Entries may be in black & white or in color. Submission of a photograph implies photographer’s consent for the work to be publicly displayed in the library. By submitting a photograph, the contestant represents that he/she is the sole and exclusive owner of the image and is not aware of any copyright infringement.
The photographs will be available for pick up after May 1st. If the photographs are not claimed by the end of May, they will become the property of the Olean Public Library. A submission to the contests indicates understanding and acceptance of the above rules.
For any questions or clarification, please contact the Olean Public Library at (716) 372-0200 or by e-mail at oleanpubliclibrary[at]gmail[dot]com. This contest is open to all members of the public.
The Olean Public Library has partnered with St. Bonaventure University’s School of Arts and Sciences, Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, and Friedsam Library to present a program entitled “Robert Lax, Mentor & Peacemaker” by noted Lax scholar Dr. Steven Georgiou.
This presentation is part of a a week-long series of lectures, performances, and discussions in the Olean area from March 4th-8th.
Robert Lax, who spent a significant part of his life in Olean, remains a well-known poet, artist, spiritual thinker, mentor and friend to many, including Thomas Merton.
Highlights of the week include three lectures by noted Lax scholar Dr. Steven Georgiou of the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, an archive exhibit mounted by Paul Spaeth, performance of an original composition by Gwyneth Walker inspired by poetry of Lax, classroom discussions, and informal events.
St. Bonaventure University’s School of Arts and Sciences, Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, and Friedsam Library have partnered together with the Olean Public Library, Olean High School, and members of the Olean community in planning this week of celebration and commemoration of the legacy, work, and enduring significance of Robert Lax.
The Winter Reading Program Starts February 11 and Ends March 11, 2013
To participate: read or listen to at least one book or audio book of your choice between February 11th and March 11th.
Complete and return this reading log to the Information Desk by March 11th.
All participants’ reviews will be published anonymously in a 2013 Winter Reading Program booklet.
As a thank you for participating, you will receive a postcard redeemable for a reading program booklet and an Olean Public Library mug!
Click below for a copy of the reading log:
Winter 2013 Reading Log
1. Entries must feature, in an imaginative way, AT LEAST TWO of the following four items: wi-fi, children (in the library), a local history book, an overdue book. You may use all four, but you don’t have to do so. (This rule is changed from previous years.)
2. Permissible length is 350 words or less. Please note: We do reject stories for excessive length or because they do not meet the requirements in number 1.
3. This contest is open to students enrolled in grades 6 through 9. Participants are limited to one entry and are expected to do their own work.
4. Entries must be typed on 8½ x 11 paper. Please choose a font that is easily readable, like the one you are currently reading (Arial) and a type size no smaller than 11 pt. Students without other access to a word processor are welcome to use those at the Olean Public Library.
5. Mechanical correctness — spelling, punctuation and grammar — is an important factor in the judging.
6. Entrant’s name, grade, school, AND TEACHER’S NAME must be printed – legibly! – in the lower right corner of each page. Home-schooled students are welcome; use the name of the person doing most of the teaching as your teacher’s name.
7. All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by Monday, March 4. Whether mailed or delivered in person, envelopes should be addressed to Friends Short Story Contest. Mailed entries should be sent in care of the Olean Public Library, 134 N. Second St., Olean, N.Y. 14760.
7. Winners will be notified through their English teacher. The awards ceremony will be scheduled at the Olean Public Library shortly after winners are notified.
Thanks for your participation. And good luck!