1. Entries must feature, in an imaginative way, AT LEAST TWO of the following four items: the library cat, a librarian, a DVD, a display at the library. You may use all four, but you do not have to do so. (This rule is changed from previous years.)
2. Permissible length is 350 words or less. Please note: We do reject stories for excessive length or because they do not meet the requirements in number 1.
3. This contest is open to students enrolled in grades 6 through 9. Participants are limited to one entry and are expected to do their own work.
4. Entries must be typed on 8 1/2 X 11″ paper. Please choose a font that is easily readable and a font size no smaller than 11 pt. Students without other access to a computer are welcome to use those at the Olean Public Library.
5. Mechanical correctness — spelling, punctuation, and grammar — is an important factor in the judging.
6. Entrant’s name, grade, and school must be printed – legibly! – in the lower right corner of each page. Home-schooled students are welcome, as are students in classes which do not chose to participate as a class. In both cases, please make sure you include your home address, again legibly printed, on the last page of the story.
7. All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by Friday, March 14, 2014. Whether mailed or delivered in person, envelopes should be addressed to Friends Short Story Contest. Mailed entries should be sent in care of the Olean Public Library, 134 N. 2nd St., Olean, NY 14760.
8. Winners will be notified through their English teacher of through mail to their homes. The awards ceremony will be scheduled at the Olean Public Library shortly after the winners are notified.
Thanks for your participation. And good luck!