1. Entries must feature, in an imaginative way, AT LEAST TWO of the following four items: wi-fi, children (in the library), a local history book, an overdue book. You may use all four, but you don’t have to do so. (This rule is changed from previous years.)
2. Permissible length is 350 words or less. Please note: We do reject stories for excessive length or because they do not meet the requirements in number 1.
3. This contest is open to students enrolled in grades 6 through 9. Participants are limited to one entry and are expected to do their own work.
4. Entries must be typed on 8½ x 11 paper. Please choose a font that is easily readable, like the one you are currently reading (Arial) and a type size no smaller than 11 pt. Students without other access to a word processor are welcome to use those at the Olean Public Library.
5. Mechanical correctness — spelling, punctuation and grammar — is an important factor in the judging.
6. Entrant’s name, grade, school, AND TEACHER’S NAME must be printed – legibly! – in the lower right corner of each page. Home-schooled students are welcome; use the name of the person doing most of the teaching as your teacher’s name.
7. All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by Monday, March 4. Whether mailed or delivered in person, envelopes should be addressed to Friends Short Story Contest. Mailed entries should be sent in care of the Olean Public Library, 134 N. Second St., Olean, N.Y. 14760.
7. Winners will be notified through their English teacher. The awards ceremony will be scheduled at the Olean Public Library shortly after winners are notified.
Thanks for your participation. And good luck!