The Friends of the Olean Public Library are sponsoring a short story contest for students in grades 6 through 10. Below are the rules:
- Entries must feature, in an imaginative way, ALL of the following items: a library computer, a bird, and a teacher’s voice.
- Permissible length is 350 words or less. Please note: We do reject stories for excessive length or because they do not feature all three items listed in number 1.
- This contest is open to students enrolled in grades 6 through 10. Participants are limited to one entry and are expected to do their own work.
- Entries must be typed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Please choose a font that is easily readable, like Arial and a type size no smaller than 11 pt. Students without other access to a word processing program are welcome to use the computers at the Olean Public Library.
- Mechanical correctness — spelling, punctuation and grammar — is an important factor in the judging.
- Entrant’s name, grade, school, and TEACHER’S NAME must be printed – legibly! – in the lower right corner of each page. Home-schooled students are welcome; use the name of the person doing most of the teaching as your teacher’s name.
- All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by Friday, April 16, 2010. Whether mailed or delivered in person, envelopes should be addressed to Friends Short Story Contest. Mailed entries should be sent in care of the Olean Public Library, 134 N. Second St., Olean, NY 14760.
- Winners will be notified through their English teacher after April 27th. Awards will be presented the following week at the Olean Public Library.
Thanks for your participation. And good luck!