1. Entries must reflect this theme: Reading the World
2. This contest is open to students enrolled in grades 6 through 10. Participants are limited to one entry and are expected to do their own work.
3. Entries are limited to 32 lines or less. Each entry must be typed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper using 14 point New Times Roman font. Students are welcome to use the computers at the Olean Public Library.
4. Judges are impressed by the use of elements of poetry such as use of detail, images, rhythm, metaphors, similes, and other types of figurative language. Rhyme should not dictate content. Punctuation, grammar, and mechanics count.
5. Entrant’s name, grade, school, AND TEACHER’S NAME must be typed in the lower right hand corner of each page. Individual entries should have a home address with telephone number and/or e-mail address.
6. All entries must be received at the Olean Public Library by October 30th. Whether mailed or delivered in person, envelopes should be addressed to “Friends Poetry Contest.” Mailed entries should be sent in care of the Olean Public Library, 134 N. Second St., Olean NY 14760.
7. Winners will be notified during the week of December 1. Awards will be presented the following week at the Olean Public Library.
We look forward to reading the entries!