Posted on March 19, 2012 by oleanpubliclibrary
Budget Vote and Election of Trustees will take place in the library on Tuesday, May 1, 2012 from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM.
- Application to receive an Absentee Ballot for Library Trustee Election and Budget Vote are available now at the library
- Must be received by the library no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, April 19, 1012 for mailed ballots
- Must be received by the library no later than 5:00 PM on Monday, April 30, 1012 for hand-delivered ballots
Election of Candidate
Library Trustee Member – two (2) vacancies due to the expiration of the terms of office presently held by Darcy Branch and Lanna Waterman.
- Nominating Petitions available at the library
- Signatures of at least twenty-five (25) qualified voters of the school district required
- Must be received by the library no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, March 30, 1012
What if I have questions?
Attend the Budget Hearing on Tuesday, April 17 @ 7:00 PM, visit the library or call the library Director at (716) 372-0200.
Filed under: Budget, Trustee Election | Tagged: absentee ballots, Budget, budget vote, Library, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library, trustee election | Leave a Comment »
Posted on November 13, 2010 by oleanpubliclibrary
The New York State Library Association has an interesting tool that you can use to figure out how much your library is worth to you each year. You can access it here.
Here is a quick break down of what some of the services offered by the Olean Public Library are worth:
Hardcover book $18
Paperback book $8
Music CDs $12
Meeting Rooms $50/hr
Adult Programs $18
Kids Programs $15
Computer Use $3/hr
Questions answered $8/question
Also, in Olean it costs between $2.80 and $3.35 to rent a DVD and approximately $4 to rent a video game from rental establishments – at the Olean Public Library – it is free with your Library Card!
So, now that you have some figures, how much is your library worth to you each week? Each month?? Each Year???
Filed under: Budget, Community Information | Tagged: "library worth", Budget, budget cuts, Library, library value, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library | Leave a Comment »
Posted on November 10, 2010 by oleanpubliclibrary
Ask Your County Legislator to Restore Full Funding to Libraries!
Libraries serve all people in the county: toddlers to teens, and adolescents to older adults. Libraries provide life long learning opportunities: “no fees,” “no tuition,” and “no contracts.” Libraries give a great return on your investment. Libraries provide three dollars of service for every dollar they spend.
The Olean Public Library receives $14,222 in aid to purchase library materials in part from Cattaraugus County funding to the Library System and from NYS aid provided to the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System. County funding also helps provide the twice a week delivery service to the libraries throughout the county. These services and others are in jeopardy. The 20% cut in library funding the county is proposing could trigger a 25% cut in New York State Aid to our system.
The Olean Public Library receives additional NYS Aid money from the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System. This funding is used to purchase reference materials, adult non-fiction books, and electronic databases. Additionally, NYS aid provides partial funding for a Librarian position and helps with the Olean Library’s general operating budget. This state funding amounts to almost $56,000. If the proposed 20% cut in library funding takes place, the Olean Public Library could lose not only the book aid money of $14,222 provided by the county funding but an additional $14,000 in NYS funds that come to Olean through the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System.
The County is trying to save $17,000 by reducing funding to the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System. Unfortunately, this cut could have a huge impact on the Olean Public Library. We could lose more than $28,000 in funding. Now is not the time to cut funding to libraries.
Filed under: Budget, Community Information | Tagged: 2011 Budget, Budget, budget cuts, legislators, Library, Olean, Olean NY, Olean Public Library | Leave a Comment »
Posted on June 25, 2009 by oleanpubliclibrary
- You made 123,593 visits to the library in 2008.
- You borrowed 188,658 books, magazines, videos, CDs, CD-ROMS and other items.
- You asked Reference 10,716 questions.
- You used computers and Internet services 19,355 times.
- You held 450 meetings in the Conference Room, Art Gallery, and Story Hour Room.
- You borrowed 380 items from outside the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System and 5,275 items from other libraries within the system.
- 79 Events, Presentations, and Workshops for all ages and interests were held including Family Fun Day, Crochet & Knitting Group, Brown Bag Book Club, ARVAS Tank Show, origami, TV script writing, and lectures on the Rare Book collection at SBU, the Civil War, Susan B. Anthony, and the archaeology of the area.
- 15 Literary Events featuring AlleCat Reads Dead Man Walking, visiting authors Sister Helen Prejean, George Johnson, Francis Richey, Ed Sanders, Paul Wieland, & the Creative Writers Group.
- 9 Art Gallery Exhibits featuring Southern Tier Biennial winner solo show, Errol Daniels, Robert Holland, Georgia Timper, & Jeffery McMillian.
- The Summer Reading Program had 312 children and teens registered.
- There were 244 Story Time, Investigation Stations, & Baby Sign sessions for your infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children.
- Through your generosity we received over $15,412 in memorials, gifts, and donations.
- Friends of the Library of Olean, New York, Inc. gave $13,003 from the Book Endowment for circulating library materials.
- Friends of the Library of Olean, NY, Inc. gave $2,000 for library programs and presentations.
- Friends of the Library of Olean, NY, Inc. sponsored receptions at artists’ exhibit openings.
Filed under: Budget, Community Information | Tagged: Library, reference, research, Summer Reading, value | Leave a Comment »
Posted on April 1, 2009 by oleanpubliclibrary
On Tuesday, April 28, 2009 from 9:00am to 9:00pm.
NO INCREASE IN TAX FUNDS ARE BEING REQUESTED FOR 2010
HOW WILL THIS BUDGET IMPACT THE TAX RATE FOR THE SCHOOL DISTRICT RESIDENTS?
NO CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS YEAR!!
City of Olean: $20.97 per $1,000 of assessed property value.
Town of Olean: $2.09 per $1,000 of assessed property value.
Town of Portville: $1.70 per $1,000 of assessed property value.
What if I have other questions?
Attend the Public Hearing on Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7pm at the Library. Visit http://www.oleanlibrary.org, email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the library at (716) 372-0200.
PROPOSED OPERATING BUDGET 2010
|Real Property Tax
|Earning from investments
|Local Sponsor Incentive Aid
|Library System Grant
|Gifts and Donations
|Sale of Used Books
|Copy machine receipts and other
|NYS CLD Grant
|Appropriated fund balance
|Salaries and benefits
|Building operation & maintenance
Election of Candidates
Library Trustee vote for two (2)
LIBRARIES: AN AMERICAN VALUE This proposal was carefully prepared by the Library Director and the Board of Trustees in Winter 2008-09. Considering the current uncertain economic climate the Library Board decided to set and example and not increase taxes on the residents of the Olean School District.
Filed under: Budget | Tagged: Budget | Leave a Comment »